Wednesday, July 23, 2014

#BookTubeAThon Wrap Up and Thoughts on my First Read-A-Thon!



Here is my little wrap-up for my accomplishment within the Book-Tube-A-Thon. As you can see by the title, this was my first ever read-a-thon, so though I depressingly didn't meet my reading goal, I did still do pretty OK for a first-timer/generally-slow-reader.

The books read:


The Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton, 4.5 STARS

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1), Melina Marchetta, 4 STARS

Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles #2), Melina Marchetta, 4 STARS

Yep, fellas, that's it. In fact, it's a bit less than it appears because I only read the last half of Garden and the first half of Froi within the actual read-a-thon. But whatever, I'm taking baby-steps here.


What Went Down:

Monday: Got going with a roaring start, getting straight through the last -- and very dense -- 200 + pages of Garden.

Tuesday: Began Finnikin, didn't get into it quite as fast and was only a quarter of the way through by the end of the day.

Wednesday: Got through a larger brunt of Finnikin, but still couldn't finish it regardless of the fact that I was super into it at that point. Like I said, slow reader. And these books have lots of details one must keep track of.

Thursday: Finished Finnikin quickly and started Froi on the kindle, but started feeling a bit under-the-weather and didn't get too far.

Friday: Worked from noon to six and got most of my reading done before then, but still not much. By the end of the day I was starting to think Froi wasn't going to be as good as book 1 but was still quite interested in it.

Saturday: At this point, I was still not very far into Froi and realized I would not be completing the finish an entire series challenge. Froi is far more complex than Finnikin and so I focused all my energy and desire into absorbing that novel as best I could. I found parts confusing so had to re-read. But overall this story is very well-written. I also had to work that day so didn't get much more reading done.

Sunday: No work to be done but still only got half-way through Froi by the end of the night. As I'm typing this up Monday night, I'm less than 20% away from the end. It's a slower read and I'm far enough into it where I'm pretty convinced it's not going to be my favorite. But I do very much love the characters, partly because there's so much of them to love.

What My Thoughts Are Now:

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with the BookTubeAThon as well as my first ever read-a-thon. However. Being a first timer I knew I wasn't going to push myself too hard considering the fact I'd just gotten home from a big camping trip and things with my new job are taking up a lot of my time and energy. Emphasis on the 'energy.' I was fine to go for the challenges but don't really think I picked the right ones. For instance, pick a book with red on the cover was by far the easiest to fulfill and in the end it was the only one I did fulfill. And read an entire series, especially an epic fantasy series, wasn't either considering I did not even finish the second book. So yeah, not exactly proud of all that but it's still one challenge done so it's something. Thinking back, I probably would have been better off choosing the pick a book from a genre you've read least this year challenge or have a friend pick a book for you challenge. I will have to take that into account next year. Also, I didn't make any videos because, well, I haven't started making videos yet. My boyfriend wants to start making videos for gaming so hopefully we can help each other get started. If and when that happens I will be sure to let you know.

So.
Did you participate in the #BookTubeAThon? How did it go for you and what were your thoughts on the whole affair? I'd love to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment